Saturday, June 1, 2013

Friday – Parade Rest!

We have a close friend that we vacation with who always needs a “Plan of the Day” - So here is our Plan of the Day!


Literally this has been our day.  We came to the realization that we have come to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world… Why should we run around looking at the other 32 beaches on the island? We are exactly 45 paces from the white sand (Janet counted them today) and have a beautiful unit.  Our refrigerator is full of beer and water – Paradise is not Lost… We just need to stay home to enjoy it.


So here is a quick tour of Carimar in pictures.  Welcome to our world... well at least for a few more days.  As my Uncle Bain, a USMC General who has left us, would say, “These are adequate quarters”

Looking at the grounds from the beach
Guided Tour of Carimar on Left
Side of the screen - Click to
Enlarge Photos

Our unit is on the first floor

Bed fit for a King

The morning started early for me.  I had a strong yearning for chicken babies and pig parts, so I arose and headed to Geraud's Patisserie  and had a breakfast sandwich that was top notch.  Ham, two types of cheese, two eggs, ham, 4 slices of bacon smashed between an English Muffin.  Damn Good!  If anyone sees Dr D, please do not tell him the address to the blog.


Lunch was a simple choice – Walk next door to Blanchard’s Beach Shack.  Melinda was working the kitchen and folks she was hustling.  The food was good, but the Mango Coloado was the best ever.  I am truly into mango smoothies, but this mango coloado takes a smoothie hands down.  
Blanchard's Beach Shack
  


Tour is Over Back to Chilln'
Radical Band Setting Up
The evening plans were to go see the Radical Band boys that we rode over on the boat with to Anguilla.  They were slated to play at 6 PM at a local park in the Valley.  We arrived just a few minutes before their start time and the bands were still assembling equipment.  The Jamaican boys were laughing and said everything is on island time.  Maybe they would start playing around 8 PM. 

So now we had lots of time to kill before our dinner reservations back in Sandy Ground.  We rode back to the harbor as the sun was setting and then pulled up to Elvis’ place on the beach.  To steal a phrase – Elvis was in the building!  WE had a couple rum punches and then we were off to Veya for dinner.

Veya is located on the hill going down to the Sandy Ground and has a rainforest like setting, which is absolutely beautiful.   A local band, British Dependency, has a wonderful sound and provided background music for our evening.  The service... I was honestly disappointed with.  Our primary waitress seemed slow and inattentive to her duties, while she chomped on gum. (Notice I did not say chew).  For our first course Janet had conch fritters in aioli, while I had a Local Leafy Greens Marinated Goat Cheese, Candied Papaya, Toasted Almonds with a Pumpkin Vinaigrette (on the side for me)   Janet’s conch fritters were out of this world, and while my salad was good it wasn’t what I expected.  It was not until I was about halfway through that I realized there was no goat cheese.  The head waiter came over to the table and asked how was our meal?  I said I thought on the menu the salad came with goat cheese.  She scurried off only to return and say she was sorry there was a mistake and the cheese was forgotten… and that was it… hmmm I thought.  For the main course Janet and I both order Snapper that was sitting on a bed of pesto mashed potatoes.  The great presentation was only exceeded by the taste of this dish.  For our wine we had a wine I have never had but always wanted to try - Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc.   We have had many CDPs in our day, but always red.   For dessert we split a trio of tropical Creme Brulees - Ginger, Vanilla, Coconut with coffee.

All in all the food was amazing, the music was great, and the service poor at best.  The bill was a little hefty, and in Anguilla a 15% service charge is added to all meals.  I was surprised to see the goat cheese salad with no goat cheese made the bill.   For some reason this really irritated me and cause me do something I rarely do…   The tip and the goat cheese had a lot in common this evening. 



It is now Saturday morning and it is another beautiful day in the island nation of Anguilla!

13 comments:

  1. So glad you "stayed home" for the day. Those days turn out to be the best!! It looks like the weather is cooperating, too. You may have to return to Veya at lunch time today for a complimentary goat cheese salad.... Whatever your plan of the day for today is, ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the food was absoultely amazing and we would return again. I forgot to add there was the chef's treat to wake up the taste buds - Red Pepper Cream Soup that just said HELLO as soon a you put it in your mouth. Wait staff should not chomp on gum, and something should have been done about the missing goat cheese. Hey bring me the cheese, reduce the salad price, or comp me the salad... something

      Delete
    2. Hi Tom & Janet,

      We read your review on tripadvisor and would love the chance to speak with you (and figure out the case of the missing goat cheese). The ticket reads that the guest (you) requested no goat cheese on the salad and dressing on the side, which doesn't seem what you intended at all (and seems to be a server error).

      Please let us know the best way we can reach you.

      Also,we definitely agree with you on the gum chomping thing. With much apologies, Carrie & Jerry

      Delete
    3. Carrie,

      First let me say that by you reaching out to me on a blog to explain what happened speaks volumes and assures me that Veya deserves the outstanding reputation it has.

      From the get-go, I thought it was a communication issue. I am sure I said something like: “I would like the Goat Cheese Salad, no dressing on the salad please but put it on the side.” Maybe where the server wrote the word “no” may have contributed to the confusion factor or how I how I placed my order - I do not know. BTW the salad was outstanding even without the goat cheese!

      The lack of inattention and confusion we experienced I am sure has already been solved. Carrie pleased rest assured we will return to Anguilla, and we will return to Veya. As I put in my wrap-up of the likes and dislikes, Veya rated the best in food we had on island.

      I still have the original reservation confirmation and will reply to it with Attention Carrie this evening. Please feel free to drop us a note if you feel it necessary.

      And Thank You Carrie and Jerry for reading the blog. We love your island and enjoyed your food!

      ~~~~~~~
      As a Point-of-clarification: Some may wonder why Tom would insist on no Pumpkin Vinaigrette on his salad. The reason: I love wine and I was looking forward to my first Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc. IMHO - Most dressing that use vinegar as a base tend to fight with the wine. (Vinegar is nothing more than bad wine :- ), so I try to avoid it) I did add the pumpkin vinaigrette lightly and it was wonderful – Which goes back to Tom’s Rule #3: Trust the Chef – They know what they are doing.

      Delete
  2. Tom - have not been to Veya in years, but I know the owner would love to hear about your take on the restaurant.
    Hope you can make it to Jacala, it is our favorite.
    Thanks for another great read.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacala is our on list... time is running out but we hope to make it.
      I have no idea how to contact Veya's owner, but if you do send him a link.

      Delete
  3. Post it on Trip Advisor reviews, he reads them all. Hope you can make it to Jacala, they are open Sunday and then closed Monday and maybe Tuesday now - get the calamari risotto - unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is ok with you, I would like to post your blog on Trip Advisor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen I think I would like to wait till the trip is over to post on Trip Advisor. If you do not mind please wait until next week. I will also be doing a trip report on TTOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, I would not post without your permission.
    Hope you make it public, it is very good and the pictures are wonderful!
    Thanks for all your work.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first photo is classic! So inviting...+ that goat cheese salad sounds incredible. Candied papaya?!

    ReplyDelete