Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Monday - Lost at sea and other tales

Monday started out very strange.  How so you ask?  Well Geraud’s was not our breakfast destination.  Instead we were out the door at 8:45 for a day trip adventure on the high seas.  Since the car still had not been replenished with go juice, our wingman from the night before was nice enough let us ride with them to the Sandy Grounds. Chocolat would be the vehicle to take us out to sea.  She is a 35’ CAT set up for day trips to Prickly Pear and Sandy Island.  These small islands lay not far off Anguilla’s coast. 


It was another beautiful morning in the islands as our Captain, Rollins, shuttled groups on the dinghy out to the awaiting CAT.  Assisted by mate Dion, we quickly motored out of the harbor and then raised sails.  The first destination was Prickly Pear for a snorkel. 



Snorkeling in the BWI versus the USVI or BVI is considerably different.  The water is beautiful, but the views under the sea do no match those found in the Virgin Islands.  The truth of the matter - is that anytime one is snorkeling all is good.  I got to try out the new camera, but with the sun popping in and out of clouds made it difficult to get the shots I wanted.

We returned to the Chocolat as Dion pointed out a ray which was circling beneath the boat.  So I started to follow the ray as Janet swam ashore to join the group on Prickly Pear.  Looking up I could see a lot of activity on the beach as others in our group were pointing to the sea and following something with their out stretch arms.  Then I heard the word… SHARK!  (about damn time I got to the story)  I began to swim ashore in the opposite direction they were pointing in.  Then more hands raised pointing other directions, and my kick quicken.  The music from Jaws could be heard playing in my head, and then I saw the creature.  It was 18” long and I snapped the picture.  With my mission accomplished I stood up and walked ashore with the rest of the group.  Really not that big of deal, but I can tell you in the future that shark will grow each time I tell the story.

18", But it sure looks a lot bigger in the picture... eh!

Back on the boat we were off to Sandy Island.  Delayed a few minutes by a passing rain shower, the group was getting hungry.  As we approached the island, I could smell ribs on the BBQ, but more importantly I could see an approaching storm.  Rollins and Dion quickly began the shuttling process to the island, but Janet and I were in the last group. 

The squall hit just as we motored away from Chocolat on our way to lunch.  Would we make it to the island or be taken out to sea... It really was not that bad, but it was definitely a tropical rain – Just pouring!  The drops stung your skin like sleet.  I must admit it was a pretty hairy ride in a dinghy, but we made it.  Of course I fell out of the dinghy coming ashore and to be consistent I fell out of the dinghy trying to get in it on the way back.


The sun returned and we enjoyed our slow transit back to Sandy Ground as the group visited among themselves and told stories of their visit to Anguilla so far. 



Rollins had provided us a wonderful day on the sea and his professionalism when the weather got crappy was appreciated.  I would have no problem telling folks that Chocolat Day Trip is worth the money – Just remember who is the Captain!

Having such a wonderful day, it seemed only appropriate to go to Dolce Vita for dinner.  Located right on the beach we arrived (without camera) as the sun was setting.  I could not find a link to this restaurant, but rest assured this was another amazing dining experience.  Janet and I split an arugula and walnut salad that was to die for and had their own balsamic drizzled lightly on top.  Janet ventured off to the homemade Gnocchi with a red sauce, while I chose a seafood risotto (hold the scallops please I am allergic) with mussels (got it right this time), calamari and shrimp.  Once again I was blown away.  I keep thinking I am going to get a meal that is just average, but no everything (including every bill) is above average.  We did venture out a little with an Orvieto as our wine choice, but the crisp acidity worked so well with my risotto.  Not sure what Janet thought, because the next menu had arrived.  Dessert took us to a new level I must admit.  Janet a Limoncello Cheesecake captured her desires, while I went with the classic Tiramisu.  Both were first rate and not a speck of their existence remained on our plate.  We enjoyed our coffee and then had a complimentary Limoncello as a digestif. 

It is so sad only one more day of fun before reality Thursday is upon us.

5 comments:

  1. I love the way you placed the picture of Janet belly-laughing right next to the paragraph about you falling out of the dinghy! ENJOY your last day of fun in paradise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never fall when I have my good camera with me and never make it out when I don't. I think I will just carry my camera at all times.

      The shot of Janet was about 100 yds off shore above a reef with no land in sight. Is was really just a little intense - not sure why she was lauging. For that matter not sure why I was taking pictures.

      Delete
  2. I always hear such good things about Chocolat and Captain Rollins. We like their restaurant "Ripples" - very good fish and chips. A shark! Wow! What a memorable trip you had! I hate to keep repeating myself, but Dolce Vita is another favorite of ours - I had the seafood risotto last trip and it was fabulous, they never disappoint. They are reportedly opening a new place near Gerards patisserie - it overlooks the bay - it is the old Luna Rosa spot - hope the deal goes through - it is a lovely venue.
    Thanks again for all your time and effort, you have really done a great job.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! That was quite an adventure...I love that picture of Janet, adorable!

    ReplyDelete