Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday - Arrival SXM – Front Row!

Our wakeup call came at 4:31 this morning, and both of us were a little sleepy.  Even though we drove to Richmond and got a hotel room close to the airport, the plan did not work out as well as we hoped.  Upon arrival we could see the lobby was a happening place!  Entering through the sliding glass door a roar came rushing out!  The place was packed with 100s of teenagers bouncing off the walls and half the number of parents crowded in the bar.  We had arrived in the midst of a Youth Volleyball Tournament, and we were lucky enough at the last moment to select the lodging hosting the NY Delegation.  Ugh!!!

Going to bed at 10 sharp for our early departure, Janet drifted off quickly as I tossed and turned still hearing the roar in the lobby.  We had the room next to lobby, workout center, and ice machine.  (So much for being a Gold Marriot member).  At some point after midnight I heard all sorts of commotion outside our door as a group of boys and girls were talking in loud voices.  A sudden loud order barked from an adult said, Go to your rooms!  One of the teens in a Brooklyn accent replied, “We do not have to be in our rooms till midnight.”  The voice returned, “It is after midnight!”  There was a scampering of feet and then silence.  Damn Yankees!

At last I could close my eyes and fell deeply asleep making melodic noises of exhaustion that my bride calls snoring.  For the life of me how one can sleep through 10 kids in the hallway, but be awaken by the guttural sound of a sleeping man totally mystifies me.  Especially when the man is as sweet as me!  I think when I die I will only be remembered as the person who could not sing or snore in tune.  Oh well the alarm went off and we were off to the airport.   I am Southern gentleman - so I restrained myself from slamming doors, using the ice machine, and yelling to my sweetie as we walked out of the hotel.  Albeit it would have been nice to wake some our NY guest.

Check in went smooth and we were airborne from RIC to CLT.  We had a short layover in CLT, but things were going our way and we arrived only 3 gates away from our SXM gate.  For those who have traveled through CLT, I was even lucky enough to find the one bathroom that did not have a man standing by the door saying thank you very much while he stands guard next to his tray of mouth wash, candy, and tip jug.  CLT bathrooms are some of the cleanest around, but I am still a little uncomfortable with “the candyman” in the head. (Shout out to Nick at work – D concourse right next to the escalator that goes to E concourse) 
The BVI below the Clouds

The lack of sleep the night before was quickly forgotten as soon as we stepped aboard our US Airways flight out of CLT.  We were lucky enough to be upgraded to 1st class, but what really made it nice was the great flight crew.  Friendly, attentive, and funny – Hats off to US Airways.  Pretty much blue skies with a slight chop on the way down to SXM.  My goal is to snap a shot right at landing of the beach bar from the airplane… that is if the nice attendants I just complimented don’t catch me with an electronic device on.  Signing off from the plane it is time to try to take my picture.



Picture got snapped – I thought I missed it but here is beach bar looking from the plane!


We zipped through passport control, luggage arrived, and the rent-a-car rental was breeze.   Driving directly to the Towers at Mullet Bay it seems SXM gets busier every visit.  Everything was going smoothly and then when we went to check in we found out we did not get the room we wanted.  We got upgraded to the penthouse (3 Bedrooms, 3 baths, two floors, and 4 balconies)!   The Towers are a little tired, but there is lots of work ongoing, and the staff is as sweet as they can be.  We did not linger long at the room and headed to meet up with our son. 

The rest of the day entailed us sitting on the beach talking, catching up and watching the airplanes.  I know our son is really ready to get home to his wife, and becoming a new dad in 6 weeks!  He is counting down the days. 


Until tomorrow – Good Night.

8 comments:

  1. Three out of the four original burckells are together in St. Maartin?! No fair! Hope y'all have a blast and enjoy the blue water and sunshine, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra rooms? Now you tell us.. :) Guess you can stay in each room to get a new view. Love that you got to catch up with Emmett and will continue to read and live vicariously through your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit we are enjoying living on a single floor. The two bedrooms upstairs are going to be lonely this trip. One floor living 80 feet above any grass suites me fine! Thanks for checking on us!

      Delete
  3. Almost finished with Cole Bay Band - sorry I didn't get it finished before you left - but it mentions a restaurant called "Lolo" owned by Danny. Might want to give it a try. Loving your travel log - keep it coming. Can't wait to read all about Anguilla....have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Lolos on SXM :-), We at one today - I think all of them are good. In fact we may head over to Grand Case to the Talk of the Town for some Ribs and Beans & Rice tonight.

      No worries we will enjoy the book when we get back - keep the vacation rolling!

      Delete
  4. Upgraded to the Penthouse? You're killing me! And you made me laugh out-loud with this one, "melodic noises of exhaustion"....uh huh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh the sound only a married woman can enjoy... well maybe only because they have to.

    ReplyDelete