Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tuesday - What a difference a day makes!

The rain is gone!  Pretty much the same shot as the one yesterday...
Just a little easier to see our view.  Pretty nice view I may add.


We are still waking much earlier than we like!  I think it is directly related to the Air Conditioning, which has not been turned on.  As the sun rises the island awakens and so do we.  Sounds of boats, smells of the sea, and an occasional plane cause the penthouse occupants to say it must be coffee time.  St Maarten is very different than St John in that we have not heard the first rooster.  I guess one could say SXM is more cosmopolitan.    So what should we do… Fix a quick breakfast and head to the beach.




One of the advantages of arriving early at the beach is you have your choice of chairs.  So we settled in quickly of doing nothing, but reading and staring off into the distance.  Eye strengthening exercises – Stare at boats on the horizon, read for 3 minutes, and then close eyes for 30 minutes.  Repeat!   

Friars Bay is very beautiful and very calm.  With the wind still blowing we opted to hunker down on this North Coast beach.  It does have one down side.  There is a salt pond behind the beach area that can be a little smelly at certain times.   We went to the far end of the beach and had no issue, but when Janet started swimming, when she got to the other end the smell told her it was time to turn around.


Of course when Janet swims I play lifeguard.  I saw jaws!  I found this stake used to hold umbrellas very useful for my rescue equipment.
Oh yea – I said SXM was cosmopolitan, well Friars Bay Beach Bar has Heineken on Tap.  Draft beer on an island is fairly rare unless it is being made by a local brewer.  By early afternoon we both had enough sun, and hunger sounds were competing with the gentle break of waves. 


There is a small town named Grand Case not far from Friars Bay, which is where I think French Chefs retire.  The town is only two blocks long, but restaurants line both sides of the streets.  In the center of town there is a small section that is carved out for lolos.  The rib shacks start cooking early and the smells fill the air with pig parts, chicken legs, and grilled fish as open charcoal grills battle for a passersby to choose them. 




Ribs, Shrimp Creole, Rice & Beans, and Johnny Cakes filled us nicely and for a price less than $20. 






After lunch we walked the restaurant strip of Grand Case just looking at menus and enjoying the children playing.  



These two boys were riding down the pier slamming on brakes at the last moment.   Neither have helmets oh my… how will they ever become an adults.  J

Stopping briefly in Marigot, the capital on the French side, the market was closing and many of the stores had already closed.  The asphalt just radiated the heat so we decided to return to the pool at our timeshare.  Hello it is the manager’s happy hour!  Chatting with a couple from the Netherlands who have been coming here for 22 years, they laughed as I destroyed their language and recounted my episodes in Holland.   Beer, Bikes, and Fries - Netherlands Blog

We decided not to go to Grand Case for dinner.  BAD PLAN.  Went to Bistro in the new Port of Cupecoy area and it was not very good, and very slow.  My momma told me never do names and stories together so I will not.  But there is only one bistro in Point of Cupecoy.  

Let the adventure begin!  It is time to head to Anguilla!

5 comments:

  1. I've never been much of an athlete, but I think I could really get in to your eye strengthening exercises! ;-) So glad the weather decided to cooperate for you. Anyway, I do know that a bad-weather-day in the Caribbean is still better than any day in Virginia. Wishing you many more excellent adventures as you transition to Anguilla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    I am downloading photos as I type - this place is going to be excellent for for eye stengthening! Tomorrow is Anguillan Day and the island is a buzz about the sailboat race. I am sure there will be many adventures to come. TB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bettin' you took that photo of the kids on bikes at the end of the pier with a telephoto lens. Great use of spatial compression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Milt you are correct! Now I have to go google spatial compression :-) Still learning from you even if you have retired.

      Delete
  4. Looks like paradise to me, particularly the 'eye strengthening exercises'.

    ReplyDelete